So, a few weeks went by between day 1 and day 2. In that time, I was finally able to separate Sam from his ‘sister’ and I allowed him to just be a horse, but alone. Sam now has a field to himself, which I had hoped would make him more interested in working.
I decided to throw a bridle on him because I’m down in halters for now and lunge him before I did anything else. While, from the fact the had never really closed his mouth with it, I don’t think he’s ever seen a bit, I do think he’s been lunged before. There was a little bit of feistiness and some bucking, but over all he did what I asked.
After he finished working, I brought him in and threw my last remaining halter on him. To my surprise, he stood almost perfectly. There was a little bit of fidgeting, but it was minimal and I managed to get 60% of his dreadlocks out before I decided that enough was enough for one day and I didn’t want to push my luck on his good behavior.
I’m thrilled with how much of a difference there was in his behavior. Hopefully it wasn’t just a fluke. Day 3 is today, so I’m excited to find out. I’m also excited to try my new long lines that are coming with the replacement halters I ordered – hoping they arrive soon.